Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Wet Shoes and Grateful to be Here



                “O man, my shoes are wet,” I thought to myself.  The shoes I’ll be wearing all day!  I kept walking.  I was hiking near my home.  It’s a beautiful hillside pasture with a wooded area, just under 1 square mile, and open to the public. 
            At 7:45AM, not much of the public was out walking the pathway through the tall, dew-soaked grass and copse at the north end.  With the morning fog not yet burned off, the pasture possessed a numinous quality I badly needed.  This year, 2019, I have had more sleep-deprivation than at any point in my life. 
            What kept me up last night?  Watching my beloved Detroit Lions lose to the, grrrr, Packers in a game in which the refs did all they could to ensure a Green Bay victory?  Possibly, but, I don’t think so.  I’ve been a Lions’ fan for too long.  They always lose to Green Bay that way. 
            So then, why could I not fall asleep until 2AM?  Why did I awake at 5AM? 
            A possible explanation is the wrestling I’ve been doing with God for much of this year.  The Almighty calls all of us to live as disciples of Jesus.  Part of my calling dating back to 1990-1991 has been to serve as a lead pastor of a church.  The arc of my career led to this calling and I embraced it with joy and unbridled enthusiasm.  Since 1997, I have been a pastor.  My self-definition is encapsulated in five words: Jesus follower, dad, husband, pastor. 
            My rounds of Jacob-like grappling with the Lord this year have me right back at the same calling, I think.  I think God still wants to me be a pastor.  So where is all the stress coming from? 
Life is different now than when I started, single, young, wide-eyed, optimistic.  I’m still optimistic.  But I have 25 years of lumps under belt.  That’s no condemnation of the churches I have served.  I love each one and still feel incredibly tied to my current church and my previous one.  But ministry, by its nature, beats the pastor up.  I am no exception.  The lumps cast everything I love – my family, the church, the Lions – in a more sober light.  And yes, I love God, and the lumps temper how I see God even as I realize God is more amazing than I previously comprehended. 
            So, I am as called as I ever was.  I love God more than I ever did. I love my family so much it hurts sometimes. I love the church and think about it all the time.  And worrying about these things, the very best things in my life, literally keeps me up night.  It’s not very inspiring for me, the pastor, to admit such anxiety.  Have I not read Matthew 6:25-34?  O, I have, trust me.  If I could control it, and force myself to not worry, I would.  But, I don’t know the future.  That unknown gets in my head.  I don’t know what else to say.  Points for vulnerability?
            This morning, I got to the office early and decided to walk and pray.  I wasn’t going to walk the pasture.  Didn’t want to get my shoes wet!  But then I passed a friend on the sidewalk.  He’s also a pastor and had just come from that same pasture.  He told me how wonderful it was.  I decided, tired or not, I needed that. 
So I walked.  And I met God in all His glory.  Well Ok, maybe not all His glory, but as much as He wanted to give me.  As much as I could take.  God did not give me any promises for the future.  God just let me know he was with me.  I don’t know any more than I did before I started walking.  I just know I got to walk with God.  As I finished the loop, I looked down at my now drenched shoes.  I thought, wet shoes, and I’m grateful to be here.
Here’s the best part.  God, who met me in that field, that “thin space,”[i] is here with me as I sit my desk.  It’s 1 in the afternoon and I’m tired.  Come on man, 2AM-5AM?  But, God is with me.  That’s all I get.  That’s enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment