Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Book Review: Faithful Presence (David E. Fitch)




David Fitch presents seven disciplines for the church; disciplines that, when lived out, synthesize the organized Missio Dei approach to mission first described by Newbigin and an incarnational approach to ministry.  Fitch believes he has a finger on the pulse of what it is for the church to be a faithful witness to the Kingdom of God in the world.  I think he is right.
            The disciplines he proposes are, the Lord ’s Table, reconciliation, proclaiming the Gospel, being with the ‘least of these,’ being with children, fivefold gifting, and Kingdom prayer.  In addition to these disciplines, he talks about four postures, submission, receiving, ceasing, and socially engaging.  His most compelling words are his description of mutual submission.

            I wonder what the world would look like if more churches committed to the disciplines Fitch proposes and lived in the postures he describes.  I think I know.  I am sure I know what Fitch would say.  We would see the in-breaking of the Kingdom.  What a sight that would be … will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment