Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Reading through 2022 - Recommendations from Pastor Rob

 



Turn off Netflix; not forever, but for now. Disney Plus. Hulu. HBO Max. Pluto TV. Plain, old cable or satellite. Turn it off, unplug, and sit down in a comfortable chair with a nice mug of cocoa and a good book. You know, the kind you hold in your hands. Losing yourself in a book is a lost art that our technology-crazed culture needs to rediscover.

I hope to help with this. To begin 2022, I am offering a daily book recommendation. I’ll do this Monday-Friday, throughout January. It will be posted on my blog, my Facebook and twitter pages, and I will post it on the Hillside church twitter page (daily) and Facebook page (each Friday).

I read a lot of books. I don’t read through an entire book every day, but I read often. If you trusted me so much you went ahead read all the books I recommended, that would end up being 21 books – less than two books a month for 2022! Whether you read any of my recommendations, or read your own books, please, READ! Engage your mind in the activity of recognizing words on a page that then stimulate your imagination in order to wrestle with concepts, or walk in new stories. READ!

We have such a gift. God’s holy word is available to us in the Bible and in America, there are Bibles aplenty. A Christian could easily benefit from the countless study Bibles that are available. But, we need to read well.

We become better Bible readers as we improve as readers in general. And the stories and ideas we glean from our reading (poetry, novels, commentary, history, plays, short stories, inspirational literature, etc) awaken our minds to the endless possibilities that come from scripture. With illumined reading eyes, we see so much more in the Bible. So, I hope you’ll join me on a beautiful journey of reading through 2022. Watch for the first recommendation today!

No comments:

Post a Comment