Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent - a time to recognize Jesus as Master

From Pastor Rob … (March 2011)

Lent begins Ash Wednesday, March 9, 2011. Many Christians “give something up” or go without as a form of spiritual discipline during Lent (the 7 Sundays leading up to Easter).

In the past, I have sacrificed red meat, caffeine, sports talk radio, and desserts. Why do it? Why give something up for Lent? One reason is focus. If someone gives up desserts, every time he thinks of having dessert during Lent, he redirects his thinking to Jesus. In this way, he wills himself to focus on the person and teaching of Jesus.

I will again this year give up something for Lent (several some things actually). I won’t say what; it is something I crave. My reason? I need to re-establish who is master in my life. I am not the master. The foods I do without are not my master. Jesus is Master. When I long for the sacrificed items (which will be often), I will ask my Master to help me hear His voice. Who knows? Maybe I will continue to do without the sacrificed items after Lent.

Email me and let me know of how your experiences of fasting during Lent help you grow in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment