Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

“Beautiful Things Grow in Good Soil” (1 Thessalonians 5:8-18; Proverbs 31:10-31)

 


Mount Hermon Baptist Church (Durham, NC) - Sunday, August 30, 2020


            My wife has been the envy of gardeners in our neighborhood because of her success with sunflowers.  From where our house sits, right on the corner, these tall, yellow blooms signal to all who walk by that this soil has been cared for and loved.  Beauty has come from this good soil.

            I know nothing about gardening.  When I help in the yard, she needs to tell me which ones are the weeds to be pulled and which are the plants to leave in the ground.  One year for her birthday, I bought my wife a cherry tree sapling.  I dug the hole and planted it for her.  I don’t think that pathetic thing ever sprouted a single green leaf. Why did it fail?  My wife explained to me that the soil wasn’t right.  Maybe we could have done some things differently, maybe planted it in a different spot.  She had not had much experience with cherry trees.  But sunflowers and tomatoes and basil; like I said, the envy of the neighborhood.

            This is my prayer.  I ask God to stir in your hearts, you, the people of Mount Hermon Baptist.  I ask God to make you good soil.  I know this prayer has already been answered in a sense because you’ve been with Rich Goodier for a long time.  I have seen him grow as a person, as Christ follower, and as a minister of the Gospel in the course of his time with you.  In you, good soil, Rich has flourished.

            Now, the dynamic changes significantly.  Rich is not just Rich.  It’s Rich and Elizabeth.  That’s three new entities you have to deal with.  The soil will need to be ready for the change.  First, Rich is not the Rich you’ve had for a decade.  He’s going to be different.  Newly married, he’ll prioritize his life differently.  You’ll have to adjust to your “new pastor” with grace, love, and welcome.  You’ll get the best out of your pastor when you give him room to grow into his new identity: husband.

            Second, you’ll have a new member, Elizabeth.  Small churches like yours and mine get excited with new members, but we have to be gentle with them.  We don’t want to smother new members with expectations.  This is especially true when the new member is the pastor’s new wife.  Maybe you have an idea of what a pastor’s wife should be like.  Probably, that idea you hold comes from a pastor’s wife you remember, someone you respected and loved.  Definitely, your ideal of a pastor’s wife is different than the ideal someone else in the church holds.    Elizabeth couldn’t possibly live up to every single Mount Hermon member’s ideal of what a pastor’s wife is, and she shouldn’t have to.

            She will be the very best she can be as a Christ-follower, as a wife, and as a member of the Mount Hermon family when she is given space and grace to discover how she fills the role.  Maybe you remember a pastor’s wife who taught children’s Sunday school.  Maybe that’s not Elizabeth’s thing.  I have no idea.  Maybe she also likes children’s Sunday School, but does it differently than the beloved pastor’s wife you remember.  Let Elizabeth be who God created her to be, God’s image-bearer, gifted by the Holy Spirit, and called to serve Him.  Encourage her, love her, and discover who she is.  Don’t meet her with expectations and then become disappointed when she fails to live up them. If you give her space and grace and if you patiently wait to discover her, you’ll be amazed at what you find.  You’ll be the soil in which her beauty flowers in full bloom.

            I mentioned three new entities, Rich, as a new man in a new role, and Elizabeth, a new member with a very unique role in your community.  What’s the third entity?  It is their marriage.  The Goodiers as a family becomes a unit all to its own.  That unit needs to be respected.  Boundaries around that unit need to be honored.

            That means no showing up unannounced at the parsonage at any time, day or night.  Call first.  And make it clear to Rich that unless it is an emergency, he is allowed to say, “Now’s not a good time.”  He should be able to have dinner with his wife. Elizabeth should have the freedom and space and breathing room to make the parsonage her home. 

Rich will still respond to emergencies.  It’s something we Pastors do, and it is something Elizabeth signed up for, although she won’t fully “get it” until she has lived it for a while.  But her living of it can be a time of beautiful growth, if her new family, you the people of Mount Hermon, give her space and love and welcome and grace. 

            My remarks are rooted in my understanding of Paul’s words toward the end of 1 Thessalonians 5.  He encouraged the church by promising resurrection for members who have unexpectedly died.  He has talked about Jesus’ return.  Now as the letter nears its close, it seems like he’s trying to cram in as much about community as he can.  Listen to the rapid-fire succession.

“Respect those who labor among you.”

            “Be at peace.”

            “Encourage the fainthearted.”

            “Help the weak.”

            “Rejoice always.”

            “Pray without ceasing.”

            “Give thanks in all circumstances.”

            These snippets of truth, taken together, undergird a sense of joyful, faithful community.  The pastor’s sense that his family is stable and secure is an important element in developing the church as a joyful, faithful community.  Mount Hermon wants Pastor Rich to be the very best pastor he can be.  At his best, he will lead the church to be the best it can be.  If he gets the sense that the church loves and cherishes his wife, he will be devoted with a fresh energy that will bless everyone. 

            Everything I have shared is rooted in my reading of 1 Thessalonians and my life as Rich’s friend as a pastor.  Rich and I have been in book clubs together.  We support each other in the Yates Baptist Association and the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. We watch NFL games together.  We always go see the latest Marvel superhero movie that comes out.  He has had my kids over to play video games and look at his chickens.  I love him and my family loves him.  I will always be “for Rich.”

            Mostly that’s true because we just connect as pals, but it is also true because I can empathize with what his life has been to this point. I was single and a senior pastor for 6 years.  I was 27 when I started, and one or of our older members called me the “boy pastor.”  It was said with affection, but it certainly was not a compliment.  More than once, I was compared to my predecessor, who retired at 65.  Of course, I couldn’t do it the way a 30-year ministry veteran did.  I didn’t even know what I didn’t know. 

            I was so thankful for the way that congregation accepted my flaws and lovingly helped me grow into greater maturity as a leader, a preacher, and a pastor.  Aside from conflicts with a few members, I know the church loved me and it was never more apparent than the way they welcomed and loved my new wife when I finally did get married to Candy, six years into the pastorate.  They gave her space to figure out how she fit into her new church family.

            One of the ways she found a home, was her tireless work ethic.  Many pastor’s wives are musicians; not my wife.  Many are in children’s ministry; she will do children’s ministry, but she’s better as an administrator and as a worker bee. 

Right around the time we married, a woman who had left our church started coming back around.  She was about 70 or so, but a very old, cranky, bossy 70.  Cranky and bossy hit my young, aggressive personality like a lit match to a bucket of gasoline.  Boom!  Some of the most shameful moments of my career came when she and I argued publicly.  She finally got sick of it and left our church for a few years. 

When I got married, she found her way back into the church, and when Vacation Bible School time came that summer, she ended up working right alongside my new wife.  She and Candy served hot dogs together to all the children who came for Bible school.  Through the course of that week, this old lady’s irritation with me evaporated and because she loved my new wife, she decided to love me too.  Of all the ways I thought my wife might bless my life, I never would have predicted she would be the catalyst to reconciliation between me and members I had royally ticked off. 

Will Elizabeth lead some of you who might be mad at Rich to get over it and love him?  Who knows?  Elizabeth doesn’t know what her role in this church family will be.  You don’t.  Rich doesn’t.  It is something that gets discovered.  It is a dance between church, pastor, and pastor’s family.  Toes will get stepped on.  But if that happens in an atmosphere of grace, where everyone is striving to encourage everyone else, it will be laughed off as a part of the joy of discovering one another.

That’s what is happening at Mount Hermon.  This is the beginning of a journey of discovery.  We’re in the midst of a politicized, mask-wearing pandemic that has made the world weird.  How wonderful, that you, God’s church get to welcome a new member in and get to encourage the pastor you love as he steps into a new season of life. 

We did the reading of Proverbs 31 earlier.  That’s an ideal.  No woman perfectly lives up to the ideal of the Proverbs 31 woman.  But if Mount Hermon is gentle, nourishing, encouraging soil, Elizabeth will come close.  She’ll grow as a disciple of Jesus.  You will grow along with her and with Rich.  And you’ll all experience God in this place.

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment