Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Henry in Narnia

One of my joys as a parent has been to read The Chronicles of Narnia to my children.  A few years ago, Igor and I went through it.  He’s in 8th grade now.  Now Henry, in 4th grade, and I are going through.  We finished The Magician’s Nephew and are in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Tonight, we got to the part where the children first meet the Beavers.  Mr. Beaver has heard that “Aslan is on the move.”  Here’s what comes next:

“None of the children knew who Aslan was; but the moment the beaver had spoken these words, everyone felt quite different.  … At the name of Aslan, each one of the children felt something jump inside.

Edmund felt a sensation of mysterious horror.

Peter felt suddenly brave and adventurous.

Susan felt as if some delicious smell or some delightful strain of music had just floated by her.

Lucy had the feeling you have when you wake up in the morning and you realize it is the beginning of the holidays or the beginning of summer.


Every time I pick up The Chronicles of Narnia, I get chills and butterflies the first time Aslan’s name is mentioned.  Every time.

The brilliance of Lewis is in his creation of a story that shows the power of the name.  But Aslan is a myth he created in order to use brilliant storytelling to point us to the reality of who Jesus is. 

“At the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:10-11).

“When I saw I him, I fell at his feet as though dead.  But he laid his right hand on me, saying ‘Fear not, for I am the first and the last’” (Revelation 1:17).

When you hear the name “Jesus,” what happens inside of you?  Edmund was convicted of his treachery.  Peter emboldened.  Susan delighted.  Lucy freed. 


What does the name of Jesus produce in you?

No comments:

Post a Comment